Jobs / Open roles
Founding CTO/VP EngineeringAPPLY NOW
Please note: we have have filled our current openings, but because we spin out companies, we likely will have openings in the near future. Please feel free to apply to the following roles, and we will consider your application when the role re-opens.
Madrona Venture Labs is working on an ambitious new company in a huge market, and we are looking for an extraordinary group of entrepreneurs to jump in and lead it at the founding stage.
FIRST A BIT ABOUT US
We are a startup studio located in Seattle with funding from Madrona Venture Group and other top Seattle and Bay Area entrepreneurs and investors. We work with entrepreneurs to spark ideas for industry-changing companies and then apply a rigorous validation process to pick the best ones. Because of our investment in vetting startup ideas, we know that when we move forward with a company it has an outsized chance to be a great success.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an extraordinary technology executive to join us as the co-founding technical leader. You will be responsible for setting our technical vision and building our complex algorithm-based and ML products from the ground up, from clean-sheet design and prototyping to a fully scaled enterprise-grade product. Your ultimate goal will be to build one of the most impactful privacy-first data companies on the planet. In order to reach that goal, you will have the support and assistance of a multifunctional team from our Lab, and senior advice from Madrona Venture Labs’ leadership team (who have all successfully built, launched, and exited multiple companies).
You’re an extraordinary driven leader who will dive in and do whatever it takes to build a great company. Some of your most differentiated characteristics are:
- Strategic Vision: You can see the big, risky opportunity, and focus on what’s most important to success, making necessary tradeoffs to achieve it.
- Drive: You put yourself on the line with your team as you drive forward with relentless energy, creative problem solving, and resilience in the face of obstacles.
- Customer Focused: You focus maniacally on a target customer, constantly iterating and responding to feedback and thinking ahead to serve customers in ways they haven’t thought to ask.
- Integrity: You always act with a strong set of ethics and human values that earns trust from those around you, and you maintain the highest standards for treating everyone with respect and dignity.
- Learning: You are intensely curious, seeking and incorporating new information to better inform your strategic vision and decisions, recognizing mistakes, always remaining open to the best new ideas, and adjusting quickly.
- Leadership: You know how to select and lead people to create a world-class team and inspire and direct them to success. You know how to build and scale a highly technical, customer-centric organization.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Mastery of building complex products and systems at enterprise scale.
- Expert-level technical capability across modern domains of machine learning, cloud, server, and data.
- Familiarity with data security, data privacy, and/or large scale data sharing architectures.
- Significant experience in or creating products for large enterprises, including familiarity with complex enterprise data structures.
- Outstanding selector and leader of talent, able to build an extraordinary team.
- Able to roll-up your sleeves when appropriate to select technologies or create new designs and prototypes or write production code.
- Leadership experience within a startup (preferred) or in a fast-moving, innovative environment within a larger company.
- Deep product development experience, working cross-functionally to define, build, tune, and bring to market enterprise applications and services.
- Strong credentials, technical vision, and presentation skills that will earn the excitement of investors and prospective team members to want to follow you to build an incredible company.
- Contributed to or managed an open source community (a plus).
- Excitement to build/support a diverse and talented team.
One more important note from our end: we recognize the disappointing lack of diversity in our industry, and we're not standing by. We actively seek to address it with a pro-diversity hiring process and culture, and a genuine appreciation for the value of bringing unique backgrounds and perspectives together. APPLY NOW